When winter comes around, many people get bummed out that they have to put away their summer dresses or favorite lightweight fall jackets. That actually isn’t the case. In addition to winter ensembles being some of the most stylish outfits of the year, there are plenty of ways to give your other seasonal clothing a second life in the winter. From refreshing your look by perking up your winter skin with a new clean beauty skincare routine to layering up your dresses, here are eight fun style tips for winter so you’ll look great and feel even better.
- How to Repurpose Your Warm Weather Clothing — We know that the idea of winter clothing brings up images of itchy wool sweaters and stockings for days on end, but you don’t just have to wear typical winter clothing for your next ski chalet adventure. You can repurpose your warm-weather clothing. It’s all about layering. Have a pretty slip dress that you love wearing during the spring and summer? Wear it over a turtleneck. Put on ankle boots, and you’re ready for your next winter party. You can even wear flowy skirts and t-shirts. You just need a solid base layer to keep you warm.
- Adjusting Your Beauty Routine — Your skin tends to dry out during the winter. You might not think about putting on sunscreen during the winter, but it’s still necessary. According to Goodnet, the Earth is closest to the sun in the winter, so put that SPF sunscreen moisturizer on your face if you aren’t already. That’s why it’s important to not only focus on styling your clothing so that you stay warm and protected from the elements but also to take care of your skin. Consider a cruelty-free beauty box subscription, so you get goodies delivered to your door every month. You don’t have to worry about venturing outside where the weather is frightful just to get hydrating moisturizer. You’ll get all the toners, balancing serums, and makeup you need to be delivered to you on a monthly basis.
- It’s All About Layering — Layering is practical. It’s stylish. It’s an easy way to repurpose your warm weather faves. To best layer with other clothing, get a thin, lightweight puffer jacket. This puffer jacket can be paired over sweaters and under jackets. These pieces add an extra layer of warmth. Even if you have a stylish coat that looks chic but maybe isn’t as warm as you’d like, having a practical puffer jacket underneath your coat just for the aesthetic will help add a piece of practicality to your overall outfit.
- Stay Warm and Cozy by Wearing Tight Clothing — You have your keys and your purse as you’re walking out the door. All of a sudden, you feel that wind chill go by and that rush of winter air going down your body. To help avoid feeling that wind chill, wear tight-fitting clothing. Instead of wide-leg jeans, go for skinny jeans. If you’re wearing an oversized sweater and chunky boots, skinny jeans will also help balance out the look of your outfit. You’ll be staying warm and cozy while looking fabulous in your tight-fitting clothing.
- Pair Sweaters and Skirts — Don’t put away your spring and summer skirts for the winter. Like we said earlier, it’s all about layering. Wear stockings, tights, or even leggings underneath your skirts. While you’ll be comfortable wearing short-sleeve or sleeveless tops during the warmer months, you’re going to be way too chilly for that fancy-free look when it’s below zero outside. Instead, layer up with a base layer and sweater. Pair your skirt with a warm, cable knit sweater to really get that winter look going. All you’re missing is a warm cup of hot cocoa.
- Wear the Right Material — Cotton is a lifesaver when it’s hot out. It’s made from organic material that’s made to wick away moisture. However, you’ll want to avoid wearing cotton during the winter. Wear the right materials for the right season. If you’re wearing down this winter, get the right kind of down. Synthetic down is heavier than down from ducks or geese, but synthetic down will also hold up better in the rain.
- Go for Longer Coats — Chances are you’re going to be wearing at least one or two of the same coats throughout the entire winter season. Take care of your coats, and make sure you have a coat that you’ll love wearing time and time again. Go for a statement coat. Instead of a boring, old black jacket or that tired neutral-toned overcoat, go for a fun puffy down jacket. Try a classy long coat in a fun, bright color to help the winter blues go away.
- Practical Yet Stylish Winter Shoes — Beauty is inside and out. Beauty is practical, and so is style. That means getting practical beauty products this winter, such as vegan beauty products that are good for the Earth and our fellow animal friends. If you’re practicing a vegan lifestyle, there are plenty of vegan shoes out there that you can wear this winter. You don’t have to wear fur to stay warm and cozy. When picking winter shoes, go for ones with treads on the bottom so that you don’t slip when you’re walking through the ice and snow.